Friday, November 6, 2009

8,000 down, 42,000 to go...

I don't know if you remember from last year, but I am participating in NaNoWriMo again this year. November is the National Novel Writing Month, and I have taken the challenge to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days...with a newborn.

For a while I didn't think I could actually do it. Seth was constantly wanting to be held, or needed to be fed, or needed to be changed, or bathed, or...you get the picture. And then when he was asleep I would just sit and hold him, looking at him for the fun of it. When I finally did put him down, the dishes needed done, the floor needed vacuumed, the NEVER ending pile of laundry needed chipped away at, I needed to shower, the whole nine yards.

Finally, last night I went from 4,000 words to just a little over 8,000. Doubling my word count in a matter of hours.

I did the math this morning in my head (running off of little sleep!) and came up with I would have to write 5,000 words a day to meet my goal. I just about cried and then dozed off, smelling defeat. Actually it was just a poopy diaper, but I promise that's what defeat smells like too.

But then this morning, after I finally pealed my eyelids opened, changed that poopy diaper (which he still wasn't done with, so I had to wait until he stopped straining and his color went back to normal), and got on the computer, I re-did the math. I only have to write 1,730.5 words per day to reach my goal.

Yay!

That I can handle.

Yes, it seems like a lot. But if I can get another good writing session or two, I'll be able to get ahead on my goal, thus making it easier to keep up when I fall behind.

But what am I sitting around here yacking for? I've got a novel to write! - Right after I shower and do the dishes.

(PS. does anyone know how to properly spell the word "poopy"?) Pin It

5 comments:

Maura said...

Yay for you! Once I get my computer back I need to do some serious catching up!

good luck

David and Kate said...

you're a brave woman, but its something that you really enjoy so I'm sure you'll be fine! I wish you luck and a content baby so you can meet your goal! have fun

jnkeller said...

Good Job! You're doing so well! I know exactly how you feel about having to do everything and then feeling discouraged. I've got some catching up to do as well because I'm kind of out of it being sick and all. My brain isn't thinking straight.

Oh, and the correct way of spelling poopy is POOPY!!! (exclamation marks included. :))

Kimi said...

I'm just super impressed that you're writing a novel with a newborn. Having a newborn is hard enough! Kudos to you.

And I spell poopy like you do. Although spell check suggests "poppy, poop, poops, loopy, and poop y".

Dena said...

You go girl! I am so impressed that you keep plugging along with a new baby and all! I am still dying to read the rest of the first novel :)