Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Review: Sea Change by Aimee Friedmann

Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?- Amazon.com

I really wanted to love this book, but I found myself just liking it. The thing that "ruined" it for me is probably the fact that the love affair between Leo and Miranda took place in the space of six days (give or take a day). Also, warnings about Selki Island included monsters, and I would have preferred to see more of them.

Other than that, I found myself very drawn into the story. I appreciated the love triangle including T.J. and found myself unsure of which guy to root for. The characters were fun and believable and the writing fluid and entertaining.

The end was a disappointment because I felt like the book ended right in the middle of the story. I'm hoping for a sequel. Also, I expected Leo to come find Miranda, but he never did.

Bottom line: Is this book worth reading? I think so.


Pin It

No comments: