Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: Cinder and Ella by Melissa Lemon


From Goodreads: After their father’s disappearance, Cinder leaves home for a servant job at the castle. But it isn’t long before her sister Ella is brought to the castle herself—the most dangerous place in all the kingdom for both her and Cinder. Cinder and Ella is a Cinderella story like no other and one you'll never forget.

**

My review might be a little confusing, but once you read the book, it'll make more sense.

I think I have said before how much I love fairytale retellings. I was determined to love Cinder and Ella…but I found that I merely enjoyed it. 

I thought the mother’s fusing of Cinder and Ella was too quick. I think the idea was good, but it seems like it happened over the course of two or three days, rather than a few years. And why was she stuck at a spinning wheel? Was she enchanted or something? That part was confusing to me.

Other than that, I thought the story was fascinating with the prince being the bad guy. I think Cinder started out strong, but she sort of morphed into a two-dimensional character. Ella, however, started off sort of weak and grew into a strong character. That was nice. I loved the playful banter between Ella and Tanner.

The element of the trees was really good. I enjoyed that. I was confused by the situation with Cinder and Ella’s father and the significance there.

All in all, it was a nice easy read. 

  • Reading level: Ages 9-12
  • Hardcover: 280 pages
  • Publisher: Cedar Fort, Inc. (November 8, 2011)
  • Source: Publisher via Netgalley
  • Amazon
  • Goodreads

Pin It

No comments: