Monday, July 30, 2012

Review: Of Poseidon, by Anna Banks

From Goodreads:
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


***

I love books that make me laugh, and this one held some fantastic scenes that had my family members sending questioning looks in my direction.  I have never read a mermaid book before, and this was a great introduction to this sub-genre of the paranormal.  It was a unique twist on a common theme. 

The characters were awesome.  Emma is feisty, funny, and independent.  Galen is a fantastic hero, but a little bossy and obstinate while still being adorable.  I enjoyed that even though their attraction was immediate, their relationship took time and testing to develop.  I loved Galen's sister Rayna, and her mate, Toraf.  They added a fun dynamic to the story and kept me laughing.


The plot moved along at a nice pace.  There weren't any slow parts that I had to struggle through.  I enjoyed seeing both Emma's and Galen's side of the story.  Emma's parts were written in first person, and Galen's in the third person.  The entire book was written in the present tense, which usually throws me off, but it worked well for this story.


The book contained a little bit of cursing, but it was kept on the mild side.  There was romance and attraction, but nothing got out of hand or made me squirm in discomfort.  There were a few places where I felt a little bit lost, like things hadn't been explained well enough, but they were all minor incidences and not crucial to the storyline.  All in all, I really enjoyed this book and I will be looking forward to any sequels that might come out.

Don't you just love the cover?  It's gorgeous! 


Reading level: Ages 13 and up
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (May 22, 2012)
Amazon
Goodreads Pin It

1 comment:

The Hipster Owl's Bookshelf said...

I actually ran across this book a while ago because I work at B&N.

But alas! I cannot read every single book that captures my interest! ;)

Thanks for the review! Now I know what it's about!