Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Jacinda is a draki; descended from dragons, she is able to change from human from to draki. But Jacinda is special: she's a fire-breather. The first in her pride for generations. Her mate has been chosen, her future is sealed. She has no say in the matter. Craving freedom, she breaks the cardinal rule of the draki: only fly under the cover of night. Her decision places her directly into the hands of hunters.

But Will, the beautiful, kind hunter, finds her...and saves her.

In fear of the pride's cruel punishment and forced to flee into the mortal world with her mother and twin sister Tamra, Jacinda feels the aching crush of losing everything she's known. Her inner draki is in grave danger of dying the longer Jacinda stays in human form; something her mother and sister are encouraging.

The one thing that stirs the draki to life, and dangerously close to the surface, is Will. He is a hunter, and she must never forget that. For both their sakes, Jacinda tries to avoid him, but her heart, and Will, won't let her.

Now she is at the heart of the hunter's den, and Will has a secret of his own. Can Jacinda protect the draki's most sacred secret (their ability to take on human form)? Or will Will be her kind's undoing?

**

The Pros: I was fascinated and couldn't put this book down. The story is rather intriguing. Yes, it's a paranormal romance, but I think it has a different edge to it. The writing is fluid and strong. First person, present tense is sometimes difficult for readers, but this is easy and flowing.

There was a point at the end when a plot twist was revealed and I was deliciously surprised. A few mysteries from earlier on clinked into place and I thought, "Well done!"

The romance is satisfying, to say the least. :)

The Cons: This is a love story, first and foremost. Now, I adore love stories (and this one definitely makes your heart flutter), but I think the author did herself an injustice here. The main focus is on the romantic connection between Will and Jace, when I think that aspect could have taken second seat to the amazing storyline and it would have made for a stronger novel.

The Middle Ground: I loved the descriptions of Jacinda manifesting into draki form, but really, that's her only description we get. We learn she has red, frizzy hair. I actually don't really even know how big her draki is. I assumed it was bigger than her human size, but when she has to manifest in a bathroom stall, there's no mention of the stall being to small for her. So, though I like the manifestation descriptions, I wish I'd be able to clearly "see" what she was changing from.

Bottom Line:

I recommend this book. The love story, though very strong, was awesome. The concept is fascinating, and I'm really looking forward to reading the next installments. Why, oh why, didn't I wait until all three books were published before I started reading?!

Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: HaperCollins; 1 edition (September 7 2010)
Source: Public Library Pin It

2 comments:

Tammy G. said...

Thanks for the "follow"....I'm following you too (cluedn) from Tammy's Book Parlor.

ChrisS said...

Thanks for the review. This book looks interesting.