Monday, March 21, 2011

Review: The Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner

Gen, named after the God of Thieves, Eugenides, is a thief. He's worked hard to build his reputation and flaunts his accomplishments. That's how he's landed himself in prison.

When the magus, the king's right hand man, appears with a proposition, Gen can't help but be interested. Especially since it means he gets to leave prison.

He embarks with his new companions on a journey across the countryside, in search of a mythical treasure. Entire hunting parties have disappeared on the same journey. The catch? Gen must do what no one else can. He must steal it.

And that's the easy part.

**

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Gen is nonchalant, cynical, and sarcastic as the book begins. By the end, he's someone you'd want on your team if you were facing danger.

There were plot twists and turns that were exciting and kept me turning the pages (always a good thing). I love it when a book can make me gasp in disbelief. The end was ironic and fulfilling.

I highly recommend this book. It was somewhat refreshing to read a book that wasn't dripping with romance. Don't get me wrong, I am a hopeless romantic! But it was pleasant to remember the complexities of human relationships are not limited to love and lust, but also friendship, trust, honor, betrayal, and loyalty.

This is marked as YA, but I think readers of all ages will enjoy it. I'm really looking forward to the other books in this series.

Pin It

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Sounds like a good read. I see your release date is getting close!

Deborah A. said...

Yes to both. It was a very good read, and yes, it's getting close! I'm very excited.

KT said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I totally love this book!

Deborah A. said...

Yes, Katy, I'm so glad you recommended it to me!